2.05.2013

50 Shades of Grey: My Two Cents & Shade

I finally finished reading the 50 Shades of Grey Trilogy. I say finally because I started reading the books when the craze hit, about 9 months ago, and I've been "reading" the last book for about 7 months. I know, its pretty sad, but let me tell you why...



I won't spoil the story for you by divulging any details, in the event you still want to read the books, but I will share my honest opinion.... First, let me say, I'm not new to this genre of book, I've been a fan of Zane books for years and they're (wayyyyy wayyy WAY) more "provocative" than the summation of the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. So after reading the first book, Fifty Shades of Grey, I was curious what the hype was about?! I was like, "that's it...this is what's making headline news?!" But don't mistake that statement, the first book was captivating and I was definitely anxious to read the second book, Fifty Shades Darker, afterI finished it.

In my opinion, Fifty Shades Darker, was the best book in the trilogy and it was very thrilling (compared to the other books) and a lot was uncovered. My only qualm with the second book (and subsequently the third book) were the sexual interludes and constant repetitive internal struggle of the main character, Anastasia. I understand the book is "about sex" but almost every other event in the book included Christian Grey "touching her sex". It got old, quick.

In the third book, Fifty Shades Freed, there were 25 chapters of the same story over and over, I think the book could have ended in, no more than, 7 chapters. The first few chapters wrapped up my curiosity from the second book and the last 3-4 chapters had the climax, falling action, and resolution....everything else was just "fluff". You could anticipate almost everything happening and Anastasia was increasingly annoying throughout the third book. I truly believe I could have stopped at the second book, or at the very least, chapter two of the third book and then read the last chapter of the book.

I am still happy to say I read all the books, but it definitely wasn't a very pleasurable conquest; I liked the Hunger Games series more. With that said, I hope they don't turn Fifty Shades of Grey into a movie...but I've already heard they've acquired the rights to do so...SMH.

Did you read Fifty Shades of Grey? What were your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative